History of Wittlin’s Service

 

  • 1907:  Founder John B. Wittlin opens a blacksmith shop and auto repair job business on Appleton Avenue in Menomonee Falls.  The original location was close to the present day George Webbs, near the intersection of Appleton Ave. and Main St. 
  • 1910:  Wittin’s Motor Company is born as the original shop expands beyond repairs and begins selling Ford cars.  With this expansion comes the addition of a second location in Cedarburg, Wisconsin.
  • 1921:  Wittlin’s Motor Company in Menomonee Falls moves to its present location on Appleton Ave.  This move allowed the business to open gasoline pumps and rent out cabins for travelers on Highway 175.  
  • 1947:  Wittlin’s Service becomes a second generation business when Ed Wittlin purchases the business from his father, John.  Ed also expands the business by having a taxi service for transportation between Menomonee Falls and Milwaukee. 
  • 1972:  Wittlin’s becomes the first self-service gas station in Menomonee Falls and starts a trend through the community. 
  • 1986:  A third generation Wittlin, John, purchases the business from his father Ed.   
  • 1990:  Wittlin’s makes it third and most current remodeling.  The business expands from a two bay shop to four, adds additional gas pumps and a full convenience store. 
  • 2007:  Wittlin’s Service celebrates 100 years of business.  Ed Wittlin, 85 years old, still opens the business weekdays at 5:30am.